Some side effects sucks

I have worn glasses since 5th grade, I'm nearsighted as a bat, and one of my biggest fears has always been to lose my eyesight.

Right after I got my RA diagnosis, my eyesight started to become blurry. I had developed cataract on both eyes, a not so unusual side effect of diabetes. Luckily it can be corrected by a fairly easy operation where they just exchange the lens to an artificial one.

Due to lack of eye surgeons in the region and therefore a long waiting list, I had to wait almost a year before I had my first surgery. I did the second surgery two months later, but during the waiting period my eyesight deteriorated so severely that I could only see partially and very blurry with my right eye.


I continued to work, it was really hard since I’m practically staring on a computer screen all day, and I had headaches almost continuously during the waiting period. But the hardest part was the mental stress of having to deal with both the RA diagnose and my cataract at the same time and still remain focused on my work.

Needed sunglasses after surgery,
just had to play it cool...lol
So when I began to notice that it started to affect my work, I had to reduce my work hours for a while. I’m currently back to full time again but seriously thinking of reduce my hours permanently. I don’t have any free time with some kind of quality as it is right now, I’m too exhausted since basically all my spoons are being used during the work day. Although I love my work, I also need some time for recovery, training and my hobbies.

I've had to reassess the way I value some things in my life, and now I put health before work and wellbeing before gratification.

Even though it's hard to find something good in being chronically ill, I count that as one positive effect of my health issues. To always be forced to analyze your choices and priorities saves alot of unnecessary time and grief.

/Marianne

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top