Insight matters

This compassion and empathy thing is difficult for many, in a society that is more and more about the personal ego. Sometimes I feel dejected in the few social contexts I participate in. So here comes a post about insight, or rather lack thereof...

For some of us, life is a bit of a role-playing game... If you have an invisible illness, physical or mental, you not only have to fight with and against it on a daily basis, but also with and against the side effects it brings... mood swings , fatigue, irritation, concentration difficulties, etc. which affects both private life, work life and other social interaction.

You just have to put on a mask sometimes, smile and pretend that everything is fine and under
control.

People around often have difficulty understanding what they cannot see. A broken and plastered arm means that those around you realize that you are in pain, cannot cope with certain things and that your mood can suddenly swing depending on the pain or medication. They are lenient that you may sound irritated or seem a little tired and absent at times.
But with a disability that is not visible, it means constant explaining and defending, in the end you can't take it anymore and choose acting instead. You bite together and waste unnecessary energy on playing unaffected, pleasant, carefree and capable. Energy that is actually needed to deal with one's illness on a daily basis instead goes to not having to defend it or one's behaviour in front of those around them.

I'm not saying that everyone is blind or lacks understanding, but my experience is that people who have been lucky enough to never suffer from a long-term and invisible illness, or have someone close to them in a similar situation, find it extremely difficult to take in the whole problem.

The worst of all is to be constantly questioned, that some people think you are bluffing or exaggerating.

The outrage and resignation occurs when people are completely insensitive to the problems and crises of others. I'm just as surprised every time I realize that some people always base their judgments on themselves and their own experiences when they judge something or someone, and the worst thing is that they are not late to comment and give their opinion on the matter...



Well, this is just my experience, and maybe I'm a bit over sensitive. I wish I didn't always have such a positive attitude, it makes people think that I havent got any problems at all. Maybe I should transform myself to a bitter, whining and sour bitch....but no, that would make my life even sadder.
                                    Btw....Happy Easter!

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top