Arthritis sucks

Arthritis is one of the most common rheumatic diseases and affects up to one in four adults in Sweden, but even young people can have problems. Two out of three are women.



After my new examination at the rheumatology unit at the county hospital, I now know for sure that it is both osteoarthritis and RA (Rheumatoid arthritis) that affect me. The osteoarthritis is mostly situated in my hands and fingers.

Of my illnesses, these two conditions are probably the most troublesome in terms of pain and aches. The night's sleep is disturbed by excruciating pain in my knees, ankles and hands, no matter how many painkillers I take. I never feel really rested and that affects, among other things, the ability to concentrate that my work requires a lot of.

Hands and fingers ache constantly, and you'd think my full-time computer terminal work would be totally inappropriate, and yes, it hurts, but it's also good exercise that increases the mobility of the fingers and hands.

I'm getting used to not having strength in my hands, ie. that I can't bear to open certain packages, and that I drop things all the time, especially small things. It's still extremely annoying, and at times it's close to tears, but I take a deep breath and repeat the mantra that followed me since I got sick: There are always those who have it worse...

I am still privileged. Sure, I suffer from chronic illness, not just one, but can still feel lucky to have access to healthcare and medications at a set and reasonable cost. Many do not have this privilege and therefore cannot afford either treatment or expensive medications. Because it cannot escape anyone's notice that many illnesses make it impossible to hold any type of work, which means low incomes. 


I am also privileged in this respect to still be able to work full time. What suffers is free time. After a long and pain-filled working day, the energy level is close to zero and you can only manage the bare essentials.

So being multi-disease is not a fun and easy life, but as I said, there are always those who have it worse....

XOXO

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top