It's an age thing..

When you reach a certain age and your body starting to feel old and tired, and when hardly noticeable but mysterious new symptoms occurs it's a great idea to do a thorough check-up on your health.

Since I've noticed a few strange symptoms myself I decided to not only do a check-up on the current status of my chronic illnesses, but also on these new problems.

So now I' have a hefty "schedule" with various samplings, checking of the heart, x-rays gastroscopy, etc. This doesn't include upcoming visits to the orthopedist before my possible knee surgery, my rheumatologist for a follow up, and I also need to see my neurologist for a follow up as well. The symptoms regarding this particular diagnose have worsened in a big way.

What I'm most worried about is how I will cope with all this....Phew!


Another thing I need to focus on is my general appearance.

When you have a hard time to walk and also work from home and thus not meeting other people, it's easy to slip into a state of laziness about how you look. You walk around in your PJ's in the morning, sometimes right up to lunchtime, maybe you put on sweatpants and an old sweater in case you get an unexpected visitor.

I haven't cut my hair for at least six months and I've stopped wearing make-up even during the occasional but necessary shopping trips to town and doctor's appointments.

Now I've taken hold of this and just had a big haircut while wearing fresh, stylish clothes and full make-up. It felt uplifting and great. Now I'm thinking of coloring my hair to hide the gray areas, but it's really nice the way it is so I'm hesitant. Grey is the new orange...right?


I think there is a mental shift when you take care of your appearance regardless of whether anyone else sees you or not. Maybe it's the the brain playing tricks on you, but at least I feel much better and more energetic now that I do both my hair and make-up and dress in something other than PJ's or sweatpants.

I can even turn on the webcam during digital meetings at work which I previously strongly declined out of consideration for my colleagues…lol…

I truly believe that having the health under control and taking care of your appearance are important ingredients for general well-being, especially for those of us who are chronically ill and homebound. When it comes to health, you avoid worry and stress about potentially dangerous and rapid disease progression, and if you also look reasonably good, your self-esteem is strengthened and you generally feel much better.

Personally, I already feel both calmer, happier and prettier.... wink, wink...😉

XOXO

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top