Semantics and opinions

Here comes another community oriented post that, as you might know, is off the primary topic of this blog. But don't worry, as soon as I get out of this socio-political interest net I've tangled myself into, I'll get back to the chronic illness dilemma...


Regardless of the topic being discussed at the moment, one often sees the same tendencies towards word-splitting and whataboutism between dissenters. People use every means to prove their point even if they're being disproved with clear facts.

It's quite fun to follow a discussion where the evidence presented becomes increasingly far-fetched and the other party is shattered with visible facts. The not-so-nice side is when the discussion turns to contain ugly attacks and name-calling.

But even if these people are disproved, they stick to their version tooth and nail. It's fascinating and I can't help but wonder if they are really that brainwashed or just want to avoid the embarrassment of giving up.

You should of course be able to share your opinions completely freely and also why you think in a certain way, but if you claim that your explanation is absolutely true and correct, you must be able to back up your claims with clear facts. Otherwise you come across as either a besserwisser, completely indoctrinated by misconceptions (uneducated and easily led) or at worst brainwashed.


Of course, this is my own opinion, like everything I write here, and you and everyone else can either agree or feel free to think exactly what you want. That's exactly what freedom of opinion and expression means.

I'm always open to listening to other people's opinions, especially when they contradict my own, it just makes the discussion more interesting and vital. But if someone tries to push their "truth" on me with unpleasant remarks, ruling techniques or the like, I simply stop listening. It's no longer worth my attention.

The political debate

With the Swedish parliamentary election just over a month away, the debate climate, both in televised debates and on social media, is hot or overheated in some cases. This is quite normal for an election year, but the use of language has become enormously ugly in recent years and is less and less about the political content and more about throwing accusations and blame at the opponents.


Personally, I'm unusually unsure how to vote because politics itself has been forgotten and has become very diffuse and uncertain. But I will definitely vote, and I will do it on the party that in a serious and clear way present their politics for the future and which is compatible with my own views on the social issues I prioritize and of course the basic views on the ideological level.

So you might say I'm on the horns of a dilemma..but at least I'm sticking to the right side of the political scale...the left side of course...

XOXO

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top