A little joint effort can make a difference


I often think about the seemingly impossible task facing humanity when it comes to environmental degradation and climate change. Many put their heads in the sand and continue as before because they believe that it is the industrial and market forces that must be drastically changed in order for it to make any difference (which they do not seem to be so interested in).
But we can all do something that makes a difference in our everyday lives, small simple things...

I try to sort my rubbish as best I can, but of course something that is actually sortable slips down in
the usual household rubbish sometimes, and my conscience stung a little when I heard a feature on the radio about a study done on how badly source sorting works in the summer and during the holidays when many people live in their summer places or in their motor homes. And sure, people (including myself) are lazy even in those contexts it turns out.



Shortly afterwards, I read a long rant on Twitter about how stupid it is to save and collect an excess of "good-to-have-shit" and at the same time buy new things all the time. My poor conscience started to hurt a lot more now...

Surely most people do just that? Saves a lot of things that can be good to have but that you never use, they just stand and collect dust in some cupboard or storage. Or you really try to clear among the stuff sometimes but get severe separation anxiety and only manage to throw a few things. Surely it gives some recognition? At least I hope so, because it can not just be me who has this behaviour?

Like when you stroll around the mall.... Sure, I have forty-nine plastic bowls lying in various boxes at home, but this one has such a delicious colour so I just have to buy it. Or: Wow! Look how cheap these socks are! I must take the opportunity to buy some packaging.... even if the sock drawer at home overflows....

For example, I've had an old juicer standing in the storeroom for about fifteen years, a rather large and bulky thing. Okay, I do not drink juice and have no idea how this device works so why haven't I just given it away to some juice-loving person already?? But no, it's whole and nice, and maybe I will take it out at the next apple harvest and google how to use it..... Ehmm...probably not...😏


But now it's me who will clean up the house properly this fall. Throw away or donate to any aid organization. Totally disconnect the hamster brain and nostalgia gene and just think about kindness and space gain, do good by donating and gain space by throwing stuff away.




To help the planet heal, we must, among other things, curb the excessive consumption. It may not feel like my or any individual's contribution is worth anything in this gigantic struggle, but if most people start thinking and doing the same thing, stop hoarding unnecessarily good-to-have-shit, stop buying new all the time and instead clean out and give away, and then reuse by buying what you really need second hand, so at least the odds don't deteriorate.

We're supposed to be intelligent human beings, not hamsters or squirrels...but although they doesn't have much of a brain, at least they're care for their living environment and just gather what they need, and they're also much cuter...

XOXO

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top