Beloved friend


Have you ever had a friend who hung out with you since your teens? A special friendship with a person who reflected yourself a little? A person you developed and gained life experiences with, both for better or worse. A special friend who, even though you have drifted apart during the course of your life, still always been there if you needed to talk?

I had such a friend… until today when I learned that she, after fighting for years against several serious illnesses, left earthly life late last night….


I feel immense sadness, but also relief that her long and difficult battle with the pain is over. Should I be ashamed of it? No, because even though I myself suffer severely from my illnesses, I can never compare with, or imagine, her devilish situation. I both admire and am amazed at her enormous strength to still have been able to live for her husband and children for so long despite all these hospital stays and setbacks.


The last time I talked to her, she wanted me to visit her again, but due to her high susceptibility to infection, the Corona stopped it. The last time we were seen was on her 60th birthday last summer and as usual we buzzed about old memories and youthful sins. I know no one who had such a damn good memory as my friend, unfortunately for me I have to say. that have tried to suppress all my stupidities… lol…

Yes, I giggle a little because my thoughts slide back in time and I see small glimpses of our escapades together in her little Opel.
The rides around town in the evenings, cheap wine and tuna salad in my little apartment with a kitchenette and sleeping alcove, visits to various dance venues in the summer which usually ended with a hamburger at the hamburger stand in town…Fun and laughter...a lot of laughter...

Yes, you've been a big part of my life sister .... and you will remain so..memories live on forever...

But my thoughts also go to her two beautiful children and her husband who lived with constant worry and frustration for many years and now has to live on in grief and loss.

I was lucky to get to know you dear sis, discover adulthood with you and see you form such a nice little family.

Beloved "Mima", even though we weren't seen so often in recent years, I will miss you so much… and you will always live in my heart. But we will see each other again one day, I promise, and then there will be a heck of a lot of car rides together in paradise, you'll see…


Your friend & sis  

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top