2020 - epilogue

A year that the world will not forget anytime soon has come to an end, and I would like to briefly share some personal reflections.


The year began with a couple of shocking news. My department at work was to be closed down and we did not know if anyone would be allowed to keep their job. It worked out fine in the end for me, but waiting several months for a decision was extremely stressful, and part of the reason is that I have been the leader of a successful development project for the past 15 years, so having to leave my job would be like abandoning my baby. Even if I was happy and relieved, I was both angry and sad for the co-workers that either were laid off or couldn't take the offer of continued job because they then have to move to another place.

Then Corona came....and all those deaths...rich, poor, old, young, healthy, sick, known, unknown, no one is spared from being affected by this malicious virus...

For me, who is in a high-risk group, the year has been marked by a lot of stress and fear of becoming infected. Fortunately, I have been able to work at home for almost the entire year except for a short period this summer when the spread of infection seemed to have decreased. I have isolated myself at home as best I can, which has not affected me that much because I don't have a social life to talk about normally, but I understand how hard it must be for those who are used to spending a lot of time with other people or the elderly who can't have visits from their families.

And another thing...We must never forget the heroic efforts of the medical staff during this year!

The pandemic has overshadowed everything else that has been going on or happening in the world. Climate change, natural disasters, racism, right-wing extremism, terrorism, refugee disaster, world leaders with power hunger and evil agendas .... the threat to democracy ...


All of this is what we need to address next year, and hopefully the long-awaited vaccine may give us a fresh start towards a somewhat more normal future and the strength to accomplish some changes.

I believe that we all will come out stronger from this horrid and difficult experience, just look at how collaboration in research has produced a working vaccine at record speed.

Experience and collaboration can help us address other challenges to mend the planet and create a better and fairer world for all of us.

Hope is the last thing that abandone a human.....

I wish you a hopeful, healthy and a Happy New Year!

XOXO ðŸŽ‰


Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top