Get a grip

You know the expression, right? Meaning getting back from the feeling of losing control.

Now that is not really the interpretation I mean, but rather the slightly more tangible version… or rather the lack of tangible ability.

My rheumatic symptoms have to some extent, and quite significantly, partly focused on the hands and fingers, which causes the fingers to become oblique, joints become stiff and nodules have developed on some of the finger joints. I have very little power in my hands and I can't make a fist. I have a hard time getting a real grip of things, so I drop stuff all the time...and everywhere...

In addition to being annoying and sometimes embarrassing, it’s painful to pick things up all the time because of my spinal stenosis.


If you have problems with mobility in hands and fingers, you often get insanely frustrated about how certain packages are designed Why?….because they are totally impossible to open!
(and while you're trying, you drop the damn thing twenty-something times…)

Why does one feel the need to use double plastic packaging with intrusion-resistant glue? I want my coffee now damn it! Or screw caps that must be released using the world's smallest plastic ring, impossible to get a grip of (unless you’re a teeny weeny leprechaun).

I don’t mean that all packages should be adapted to people with chronic disabilities, I just don’t see why a bit of consideration and afterthought should be so hard to add to the process. 

Nowadays when I shop, I always check if I will be able to open the packaging, and it is remarkable and sometimes sad, how many items I have to skip...

Hmm...I might need to get an "opening-assistant" ... preferably a strong, handsome male one....lol...

xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top