Pain in walking distance

When I was in my late thirties, I began to feel an increasing pain in my lower back, especially when I was walking or standing up for a long time. As time went by, my walking distance was drastically shortened and I couldn't stand up for more than a couple of minutes before the pain became unbearable. I just had to sit down until the pain lessened.

After a lot of check ups, my doctor told me that I had congenital spinal stenosis and it was nothing to do about it more than to begin with a customized and long term training program. In the beginning, at my worst stage, I had a walking distance of just 25-30 metres, after years of training I can walk 3-400 metres before the pain becomes too great. As a result of this condition, I have trouble lifting my feet and my right foot is dragging a little while walking. I have also difficulties with stairs.


Quick facts:

A common cause of low back and leg pain is lumbar spinal stenosis.

As we age, our spines change. These normal wear-and-tear effects of aging can lead to narrowing of the spinal canal.

A small number of people are born with back problems that develop into lumbar spinal stenosis. This is known as congenital spinal stenosis. People usually first notice symptoms between the ages of 30 and 50.

Spinal stenosis occurs when the space around the spinal cord narrows. This puts pressure on the spinal cord and the spinal nerve roots, and may cause pain, numbness, or weakness in the legs.

Pressure on spinal nerves can result in pain in the areas that the nerves supply. The pain may be described as an ache or a burning feeling. As pressure on the nerve increases, numbness and tingling often accompany the burning pain.

Once the pressure reaches a critical level, weakness can occur in one or both legs. Some patients will have a foot-drop, or the feeling that their foot slaps on the ground while walking.

Studies of the lumbar spine show that leaning forward can actually increase the space available for the nerves. Many patients may note relief when leaning forward and especially with sitting. Pain is usually made worse by standing up straight and walking.

Source: orthoinfo.aaos.org

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top