A different approach maybe...?

This may be a controversial post and I will probably get a lot of criticism for it, but so be it..

Through blogs and social media I follow a lot of people with health problems of various kinds and from different parts of the world, and many of them devote in principle all their online time and their energy  to criticizing the healthy part of society. I myself am fully aware that there are good reasons to criticize both the behavior and perception of certain people and also the general blindness of society to the fact that we exist and have special needs. I often get angry and frustrated on those subjects myself, but what I react to and have difficulty understanding is how aggressiveness, negativity and to constant criticising uninitiated people should be able to change anything.

There are countless discussions and debates within the chronic and disabled community about healthy people's treatment and perception of them. One exemplifies, hate, criticizes and bashes the other party. To what benefit I'm wondering, when the discussions are held in their own bubble? I rarely or never see any comments from outside so why waste energy on this and on each other?

Perhaps it is a valve for one's own frustration, or a type of confirmation function that gives the feeling that so many more are experiencing the exact same frustration.


I won't lie, I certainly do the same sometimes in my own blog posts, but I never engage in the discussions that are taking place on social media because that's a public interaction in a completely different way, more direct and usually in real time. They also has a tendency to escalate both in tone and direction when people get emotional and fired up.

If I, myself, who belong to this group and has experienced a lot of the same sad situations which being debated, gets the feeling that this community must be perceived as an incredibly confrontative, angry and whiny group of people, then how should we expect the healthy and trouble-free part of society to perceive our situation?

If you want someone who has never experienced chronic illness or a disability really to have a reasonable chance of understanding and acquainting themselves with a similar situation, then one must probably have a different approach.

Constructive criticism is good. Questions and statements that invites to dialogue with the counterpart would be more efficient than confrontational criticism that only causes them to quickly scroll through the flow.

Just sayin '....

xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top