The Christmas Change

Christmas has got a new meaning for me, or rather, the meaning of Christmas has gradually changed in line with each of my diagnoses. I have always loved Christmas, the whole of December has been like a long fancy party of preparations, an almost obscene enjoyment of Christmas crafts, fudge, glitter, elves and lights.

But for the last 10+ years, most of the preparations have been minimized. There is neither energy nor excitement enough to make an effort that just leaves you sore and stiff in bed stuffed with painkillers and not able to enjoy any Christmas spirit at all. I do all the preparations that are really important to me but that’s it.

For most people, Christmas holiday is a family thing, but neither me or my hubby have any family near and I’m in no condition to travel far, so we have come to terms with spending Christmas and New Year’s just on our own.

Nowadays I look at it as an opportunity to have a couple of weeks off from work, to rest, re-energize and prepare for a new year of labour. Not much Christmas feeling in that, but necessary.

To be honest, after some minimalistic Christmas holidays I have realized that the advantage of an unpretentious Christmas is that there are no expectations to be disappointed over.

At the same time, there is a sense of sadness that nothing's as before and as it should be.


Well, it’s only 10 days left….so take care, don’t overdo it, don't stress, minimize and skip the fudge…

Santa's coming anyways...

xoxo


Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top