When memory sucks

As I’ve mentioned before, I have experienced periods when concentration and memory have been scarily bad, my memory in particular. I really don’t know if it is due to high stress, physical and mental fatigue, strong medication or all in combination. Perhaps it simply is the beginning of dementia.

I heard on the news awhile ago about the latest findings regarding dementia and that a study on the relationship between fitness and the risk of developing dementia shows that women reduce the risk of a possible diagnosis significantly if they exercise, and exercise regularly, to maintain at least a moderate level of fitness.

Well, then, I’ll just get myself out on the exercise track then ... ..or not ... because that sounds great and easy if you have physical ability to do it, but how are you going to do it when you have significant difficulties to perform some kind of qualitative training at all because of chronic disease and issues with mobility?

Difficulties to walk, pain, fatigue and other factors can make it almost impossible to exercise, at least to the extent that would make a significant difference in this case. I suppose the problem also includes men in the same situation, although the study in this case is only about women.

So if I'm very cynical I can expect to be demented about a not too distant future but at the same time it may mean that I won’t remember how miserable and in how much pain I was yesterday…..

Oh my, I sound like a true pessimist ... but to be honest, I really believe you're doing good if you just do your best to stay in physical shape as much as you can, and do a little bit of daily mental training through work, studies, crosswords, blogging etc. And the most important: a positive sense and a good mood. Mental wellness can do wonders.


One usually find dementia with older people, but it is not a natural part of aging that one may think. Dementia is caused by tiny and various brain injuries which occur during lifetime which can in turn be due to almost 100 different disease states and diseases, so there are many factors that determine whether and when to develop it.

But it's interesting with science and studies, so now I'm just waiting for a gender neutral study of how malicious gossip affects the sender's conscience or how long it takes for a fake smile to get stuck for ever.....lol...

XOXO

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top