Thyroid Trouble

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 15 years ago and before that I knew almost nothing about this condition. Since I didn’t know what signs to look for, I had to suffer from it an unnecessarily long time before my diagnosis. I don’t have any issues with it now because my medication works well, but I wish I would have known about the condition sooner. So I thought I’d educate you a little.

Your thyroid gland plays a very important role in your life. If it doesn’t work properly, you will notice it. The thyroid gland regulates the metabolism of your body and if you have an underproduction of hormones, this causes your metabolism to slow down.

Thyroid disorders include both a sub- and an overactive thyroid gland. The most common thyroid disorder is hypothyroidism, since an underactive thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Underproduction of thyroid hormone is ten times more common in women than in men. The symptoms are varied and sometimes vague, so it's not always obvious what makes your body react in the way it does. Some symptoms associated with hypothyroidism are: fatigue, weight gain, frostbite, low pulse, abnormal menstrual cycle and poor memory. 

The reason for hypothyroidism is in most cases unknown, but in the western world this is usually due to an autoimmune disease called ishimoto's disease. Hypothyroidism may in exceptional cases be caused by too little intake of iodine. 

You may also have an over-function of the thyroid gland - so-called hyperthyroidism - then you have an overproduction of thyroid hormone. Hyperthyroidism can cause symptoms such as internal anxiety, stress sensation, palpitation, sweating and weight loss.

The symptoms of thyroid gland disorders are many and varied and it is not always easy to know what's behind. To find out if you have a thyroid gland disorder or not, you can just do a simple blood test.

End of lesson...xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top