You Poor Thing...

A warning is in place because this post is composed under a state of general disappointment and irritation and can be perceived as whiny and selfish, so I apologize in advance...lol...

One thing that I react to is when completely healthy people happen to experience something that, in a short period of time, produces symptoms similar to my own, and when they complain about the situation, get showered in sympathy. 

Don't get me wrong, It is not the person's experience that bothers me, it's the overwhelming reactions on an incident that's over and has ended well.

There is no sense of direct envy without more enlightenment and fascination over how we humans react and relate to different health states which include pain and restricted mobility.

As a member of the “chronic community”, I don’t complain a lot. I think that’s very common in this particular community and for various reasons. You don’t want your health situation define who you are and what you’re capable of, make people feeling sorry for you or think you’re a whiny old bitch…lol…

There are many other reasons of course, but most of us suffer in silence.

But nevertheless, it stings a bit when a friend or colleague tells his/her short term pain story and the surrounding goes - Oh, Ah, you poor thing, that must have hurt a lot...how awful for you!

Well, helloooo, that's my life people! Every sec of every minute....and you know that, even though I don't complain a lot. I don't get much sympathy but I get a lot of sighs of disappointment and irritation when I can't participate in every suggested activity or need assistance with certain things or when I'm too tired to go out to dinner or to a movie in the evenings

Okay, that sounds a lot like envy, and I AM jealous of healthy people. But I do sympathize with people in whatever kind of pain, during whatever kind of time length, and I'm delighted when they've recover from it, but I could also wish for a little bit of insight and understanding for those who never will...

To be honest, I have actually received reactions of real insight from some of those who experienced problems like mine with comments like -Now I really understand your struggle and how strong you have to be to endure.

....that's both nice and comforting to hear once in a while....

xoxo


Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top