How do you know when it’s time?

Friends and family have been telling me to slow down and reduce my working hours.
“It’s time to think of yourself” is what they all have been saying for years now.

I always get defensive when I hear that because that’s exactly what I think I’ve been doing. I really love my work and it means a lot to me and helps me get through the day, feeling like a contributing part of society.

But lately I've forced myself to really think about what it really means to work full time while fighting several illnesses. What are really the consequences in general. Well, I don’t have any social life at all tbh, I don’t have any energy left for my hobbies and I could really benefit to reduce the amount of stress in my life.

To sum it up - I have a boring life, all the fun stuff is gone and I'm literally just surviving day by day, and letting the weeks and months, well, the rest of my life actually, just go by.....

It’s really, to quote a certain president on Twitter: SAD! ...lol...

So against my will I've started to consider reducing my working hours a bit just to see if it makes any difference. It might even benefit my work in terms of alertness and efficiency if I could be more active on my spare time and actually have some fun. I think it will reduce the stress and stimulate my brain to be able to think about other than work and/or health related issues.

At the same time I'm fighting against myself on this issue. We are in the end phase of our ongoing project at work, and when we're done a new exciting project begins which I'm really looking forward to participate in. I don't want to miss a thing and I'm afraid I would if I'm not working full time.


Well, at least I’m beginning to come to terms with the idea, and one of the strongest arguments I can see is that by slowing down I have the chance to extend my professional life for a few years instead of shortening it, which is likely to be the consequence of continued full-time work.

... ... and while I continue to ponder on this matter, life passes by….


xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top