Fumbling fingers

Having rheumatoid arthritis is not just about the constant pain and stiff joints. It is a life situation with completely new prerequisites for everyday and simple things that you have been taken for granted but which in many cases have become extremely difficult, sometimes impossible to perform when your hands and fingers are affected. I'm talking about small things like button up your shirt, open packs, pick up small stuff you've dropped (and that you often do), your bathroom and toilet visits, get dressed and so on. All this takes extra time and causes additional pain not to mention the annoyance…..

Lately I've experienced increased difficulties with the RA in my hands and fingers. My main problems has up to now been limited to my right hand except for the big lumps on my left hand long finger, but now the pain and stiffness is really bad in both hands and in most of the fingers.

This is bad news for my recycling- and crafts-studio plans. Don't know if I've told you about that so I'm going to give you the short story. I've always been doing crafts of different kinds, I had to stop due to my RA diagnosis but my idea of combining my crafts with my environmental engagement has always been there in the back of my head. Lately I've been practising at my sewing- and knitting machines a bit with rather good results so now I've decided to arrange a sewing studio in my basement.

I want to take care of old textiles, clothes and other stuff that people no longer need or use, and redesign it into new and unique products. It's a slow starting project, and I'm not in a hurry but I've really been looking forward to it and now when I've sensed a growing problem with my hands, it's really not encouraging at all. I'm going to proceed with the arrangements anyhow and hope it's just temporary.

As I've said before, I think it's really important to have something to strive for when living with chronic disease. Something you really want to do and, as a result, urge you to live in a way that shortens the waiting time, such as to take care of diet and exercise properly, which makes it easier for you to keep a positive mindset, to have something to look forward during those dark moments of pain and hopelessness.

I'm not giving up hope….

xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top