Treat me Right

"I do not require people to feel sorry for me, I just want them to understand."
Words from a frustrated wheelchair-bound friend.

I can still walk, but can wholeheartedly relate to the feeling.

The importance of people taking the time to listen and understand can't be underestimated, and it becomes more obvious when you have an "invisible" illness.

But first of all, you have an obligation yourself to explain and let people know about your condition and the limitations it comes with. It's up to you how candidly you do it. You must also tell them that you don't want their pity, just their understanding and respect if that is the case.

But we are all different in how we want to be seen and treated, and I can only speak for myself. I've told the people around me about my conditions and that I don't want them to treat me differently, just be aware of my sudden mood swings, my sudden tiredness, sensitive to my difficulties to concentrate in a loud environment and the fact that it's not because of them if I decline to participate in certain activities they invite me to. It's all about preventing anybody to feel awkward, confused or to take offense when I act strangely due to my illness.

I don't like to talk or whine about my health, but I often react when I hear a perfectly healthy person whine about a minor and treatable health problem. I know that's wrong, one should always be sensitive about how and why people percieve things differently because it's based on their very own experience or lack thereof.

So my advice is to let people know and learn about your situation and your limitations, and how you want them to relate to it and treat you.

The ones who care will be grateful and relieved, and the ones who doesn't care don't matter to you anyways.....

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top