#ThatChubbyChick

Ok, this is my problem.

I’ve always been a chubby girl, but ever since I got my first diagnosis I have really struggled with my weight. Initially because of my thyroid issues, which now is under medication and control, but also because of my diabetes which sounds odd since one of the main signs of diabetes is weight loss. Just google diabetes and weight and basically all that comes up are about how to gain weight.

Weight gain can have different reasons and insulin is one. In a way, weight gain is a sign that the insulin is working — your body is more effectively utilizing sugar, fat and protein. Your body also has the ability to store them, which means if you don’t adjust your food intake, more of those calories turn to fat.

Drugs you take for other conditions can also cause weight gain as well as stress and sleep deprivation.

This could very likely be some of the reasons in my own case, but the biggest reason is the lack of exercise due to my feet and leg issues, and of course the pain and soreness that comes with training. You are not that keen on working out when your body hurts everywhere and the excuses you've stored to postpone the training are endless.

I can tolerate the pain most of the time, but when it hurts just to put shoes on, (that is, if I have any that fits my swollen feet) the thought of just a short walk is deterrent. So I use my treadmill instead, which is kind of boring, and I use resistance bands to strengthen the upper body.

But it’s not enough, so I’m trying to motivate myself to design a personal training program and force myself to stick to it for at least a month, pain or not, to see if it makes any kind of difference. I will also try to find a pair of soft training shoes and lend a pair of hiking poles for evening walks during the summer. I would like to have a pedometer as well, just for fun.


I just need to get over that wall of procrastination that is based on the fear of increased and unnecessary pain.

Wish me luck….

xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top