What to eat or not to eat…that’s the question

There is a whole lot of diets out there and as many advices and suggestions what’s good or bad for you when you have a certain diagnosis, and that’s okay when you’re dealing with one or two illnesses. But when your diagnoses keep increase in numbers, it gets a bit difficult.

Food that’s really good for you when you have RA is really bad for diabetics, and what’s helpful for your hypothyroidism is not recommended if you have RA. These are just some examples I made up but I think you know what I mean.

No wonder I got confused before I got my diet right for my bunch of diagnoses, or at least what I think is right based on my glucose levels, how I feel generally, in terms of pain etc.

Everybody has their own health base to start building their perfect diet from, but for me it became a lot of picking and choosing from too many different expert diets along the way. Finally, I decided to take only the mainly recommended content of each and integrate them into a usual home cooking diet in which I exclude or minimize what is definitely not good for me such as sugar, gluten, saturated fats etc.

I tried with strict LCHF a while and it worked really well, but it's both time consuming since there is many things you need to make and bake yourself, like bread, and it's expensive with all the special ingredients you need to follow the recepies.

So I tried the Mediterranean diet instead and I liked it so much that I take a lot of inspiration from it when I'm cooking now. I usually cook without a recipe, “a capella” so to speak. I like to experiment and create my own recipes and most of the time it's a success but I've done some inedible stuff too tbh...lol...

My diet consist mostly of chicken, fish and shellfish as protein sources, vegetables, beans, pasta, olive oil and spices. I try to avoid food with much carbs like potatoes, even if I allow myself pasta once in a while, mostly on weekends. It saturates really well and you are less likely to have a snack between meals.

I've gotten addicted to a special kind of hard bread with sesame seeds and my brekkies consists of oatmeal with berries or banana and a couple of boiled eggs.

All in all I think I have a pretty healthy diet which is yummy as well, and that's important.
I hate to be forced to eat healthy when it either is tasteless or tastes like bunny poop...

I leave you by sharing one of my favourite easy recipes, and it's not one of my own so it's safe to try it... 😉

Mediterranean shrimp and pasta (4 servings)

  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 2 cups chopped plum tomato
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
  • 1/3 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
  • 2 tablespoons capers, drained
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 cups hot cooked angel hair pasta (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
  • 1/4 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese

Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add shrimp; sauté 1 minute. Add tomato and basil; reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until tomato is tender. Stir in kalamata olives, capers, and black pepper.

Combine shrimp mixture and pasta in a large bowl; toss well. Top with cheese.

Bon Appétit!
Recipe: health.com

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top