The Penguin Lady

I know that absolutely no one is a bit interested in my feet, not even me, but they are attached to my legs so I have to deal with them and the problems they are causing. So with that said, I'm really sorry but here's a kinda boring rant about my feet....

I have diabetes related polyneuropathy which affects my feet, ankles and legs with constant swelling, loss of sensation, pains and instability. It feels like walking on clouds, but not in a good way.

It causes a lot of awkward problems, shoes that doesn't fit from one day to the other, many chances of stumbling on absolutely nothing because you don't feel the surface when you put your foot down, and last but not least, walking like a intoxicated penguin due to a couple of unstable and wobbly ankles, which, I can tell you, can be a bit embarrassing sometimes.

I have always loved to walk barefooted both in- and outdoors, but when you've got neuropathy it could be hazardous since you don't have any sensation in the soles of your feet. I stepped on a piece of glass a couple of months ago but didn't feel anything, I only noticed it when I saw the puddles of blood on the floor. It was a deep cut and another thing with neuropathy is that the capacity of healing gets a lot worse and you are more likely to get nasty infections. Luckily my wound healed nicely, but it took a lot of time and careful attention to keep it clean.

This diagnosis is unfortunately incurable, but progress can be counteracted with a strict glucose control, and even if it makes it hard to move around or walk, it's crucial that you exercise your legs as much and in whatever way you can. Avoiding movements only make things worse. So I try to use my treadmill as much as I can for slow walks while I'm watching TV. At least I feel safe from falling as I can hold on to the handles to keep my balance.

Now I'm just waiting for someone to invent, in terms of size, adjustable shoes and the Penguin Lady will be all ready and set for some calm and careful spring walks.....or waddles...lol...

Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top