Spoonie in disguise

Most spoonies are masters of disguising pain and suffering in social surroundings. It's a defending mechanism for some, you don't want to talk about your health all the time and hear how people feel sorry for you, you don't want them to treat you differently.

For once we just want to feel ”normal” in the presence of people, so we hide our problems behind that big smile and that cheerful attitude. But that creates a big disadvantage for us too, the image of not really being sick....

I'm working full time, and on some level I can understand how some people question that. I just wish they would understand that when every day is a struggle against pain and hopelessness, my work gives me some purpose in life and makes me forget about the struggle for awhile. Without those pauses from chronic reality I would suffer not only physically but also mentally. I've experienced depression and I never want to go to that dark and lonely place ever again.

By concealing illness, you are giving the impression of being healthy and it may cause people to doubt whether you are really as ill as you claim or if you are exaggerating or even faking your health problems. There is nothing worse than people whispering behind your back, discussing you and spreading these misconceptions, it's extremely intrusive, degrading and a violation of privacy.

You want people to really think about it before drawing their conclusions, or maybe even consider asking a straight and honest question to the one it concerns. Just ask....simple as that.

It would save an already tired and sad person quite a lot of unnecessary sadness and negative stress....


Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top