Working Girl

I might be both stupid and careless, but I've decided to continue to work full time as long as I have the strength and capacity to do so, even if it's against my doctor's recommendations.

But there are some sad disadvantages. I don't have any strength left to do anything constructive in my spare time after working a full day, and my social life is therefore nonexistent. I am also forced to weekly commute to my place of work, and live alone in a small apartment without my usual safety net that I have at home, and that doesn't feel good.

Another thing that bothers me a lot is the comments one get from people: “You really can’t be that sick if you can work full time” or “Someone who claims to have the health issues that you have shouldn’t be able to work at all”. As if I was faking it….

What scares me a whole lot is that I've had concentration problems and memory lapses now and then. I don't know whether it's a side effect of any of my medications or one of my diagnoses, but if it should get worse, it would become a big problem for me to manage my work properly.

So why am I doing this? Well, first of all, I love my work, and second of all, I get to meet people on a daily basis and hopefully make a difference through my work which makes me feel like a part of society. This makes me forget the pains and the other symptoms for a while, mainly because my work requires a lot of focus and concentration. The painful aftermaths occur in the evenings though, but then I can medicate and rest.


I’ve just started my weekly commute, up to now I’ve had an office in my home town which was meant to be temporary but I’ve been working there for almost two years now from the time I received my RA diagnosis. But since it's not optimal to work on distance with the kind of work and responsibility I have, I actually do agree with my superiors that it's better for everyone if I'm available and on place at my regular office.


I've decided to try this weekly commute thing a couple of months and if it turns out that I can’t manage it practically or that it has a negative impact on my health, I’ll have to reconsider and take it from there, but I hope that everything will be okay.

Until next time.........xoxo


Comments

Popular Posts

Back to Top